Friday, August 3, 2012

Chapter 6

A big and HUGE thank you to Mohammed Al Qassimi for helping me translate the conversation in arabic!
I suggest everyone gives him a follow on twitter and reads his blog; @M_Qassimi
Thank you again, M7md! :)
--

It's been three days, three days of living on junk food and room service. I haven't left the room, not once. All I've done is eat, vomit, cry, eat, vomit, cry, sleep and start again. I knew it wasn't healthy, but I just didn't know what to do. Thinking about it made tears fall down, again. I laid down, trying to calm myself down then dozed off into deep sleep.

I was wearing my "I Love London" green jumper. It was my favorite, and I'd spent my best and worst days in it, not that there many good days.. I was wearing it with grey sweatpants, and my White&Green Air Jordan sneakers.


 It was Friday, the first day of summer, the last summer while knowing i'd be going back to school. I was done with 11th grade. 


I made my way to Starbucks with the driver, one more year until I began to drive. I ordered my cold mango smoothie (I don't think that's an actual drink in Starbucks so please don't ask :p) and grabbed a seat to sit down for a bit. I was thinking about the song I wanted to play on my iPod, but realized I forgot it at the counter. When I went back there was a guy holding it, trying to figure out who owned it.


Me: E7m.. 


Stranger: Yes? 


Me: That's mine. *Taking my iPod from his hands.


Then I made my way back to my table without another word, and he was just silent. When I began blasting my music, I looked around to find him on the couch behind me.. Alone, wearing one of the saddest face expressions I've ever seen. I hated myself for it, but I always felt the need to help everyone. It was a good thing, but sometimes it just got out of hand. Yet I got up with my drink, pausing my iPod and sat in front of him.


Dalal: E7m again *Smirking


Stranger: Yes?


Pause.


I was thinking of what to say.


Stranger: Did you lose your seat? 


HOLD UP, ANOTHER PAUSE.


Why am I helping this guy that sounds like a total jerk? 


I cursed myself then began moving up, but he held me down and asked it in a kinder tone.


Stranger: Can I help you with anything?


Dalal: Well it's quite the opposite.. I'm Dalal. Umm.. I saw you here alone, and you looked really sad so I thought I'd come and ask you what's wrong and if I could help. 


He huffed. Then his eyes darted towards the door, and I felt his muscles stiffen, he had a worried expression in his eyes when he saw who just walked in.


I turned around to find a man in his late 50's. He looked furious.. I couldn't really understand what was happening, but I could see that the stranger was scared of him, so he must've done something wrong I thought. 


The old man began making his way to our table. The stranger looked towards me and asked me to play along and that he'll explain later. I didn't know what to do, before I could ask what he meant, or think about it. The old man was at our table.


Old man: Talal, how dare you walk out like that while speaking to your mother? 


I was surprised to see that the stranger talked fluent English. He turned towards me, and noticed his words. So he quickly began speaking in Arabic, thinking I wouldn't understand because I didn't look Arab. 


Old man: Hathi umik, lazim it5aleeha foog rasik.. W enta mu mra7ab fe hatha el bait etha ma e3tithart leha w 7abait'ha 3ala ras'ha.

Talal: Tihtam feeha haa? Minchithee tizawajt'a mara thanya?

The old man seemed humiliated by Talal's words. But more than humiliation, I saw two emotions glowing from his eyes. Shame, shame of his sons words, he HAD made the wrong choice. Anger, anger of his sons disrespect. 

I don't know why, but I had to jump in and save him. 

Dalal: 3ami itha mat'mani3, wa8ti ma7dood w ana w Talal lazim itabi3 ijtima3na. 

He looked at me with embarrassment, seeing that I talk arabic and he had said all that. 

He nodded and made his way out of the cafe. I kneeled down to grab my stuff from the table, preparing to leave. But Talal called me.

Talal: Thankyou so much for that. I know you had to make that up on spot umm.. Dalal. 

Dalal: Your welcome, you seemed like you needed a way out of that. 

He smiled at me, a whole-hearted smile, it was warm and loving. But I tried brushing the shivers off, and began to walk away then looked back.

Dalal: Umm, Talal right?

He nodded, still smiling.

Dalal:  If you need to get away from the house again, I can give you a lift to a studio, there's a bed there, I use it when I need to get away, I don't mind you staying there. 

He lifted his head, looking at me thankfully. Then picked up his keys, and give me an attractive side smile complimenting his pearly teeth.

Talal: Should I follow your car there? 

--

I woke up sweating. At first I thought it was probably just dried up tears off of my bed, but I was sweating and my face was red. I went and took a shower, and then made my way out of the hotel for the first time in days. 

I walked outside, I had my car keys but I felt like taking a walk. There was a park not far from the hotel, so I went there and sat on the bench. 

Of course, nothing came to my mind except for Talal. That dream had brought back memories, that was how Talal and I met. I began to think about how I saved Talal. At first, he was the miserable one. Yes, I was getting weekly beatings, but when I made him smile, I felt like my life was worthy. It's funny how it became the opposite and he always got stuck fixing my life.

I was caught off-guard when my phone began to ring, it wasn't Talal. But I was surprised, because he was the only one with my new number. 

I took a glance at the number, but didn't recognize it, which didn't quite surprise me because I have bad memory. 

I picked up, kind of nervous as to who was calling me.

Dalal: Aloo -In a confused but held together tone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment